|January 23, 2015 - Due to the changing weather conditions, Ashe County Schools will be closing today. Elementary will dismiss at 9:30, Middle School will dismiss at 10:00 and Ashe County High School will be dismissing at 10:30.|
Annual School Report Card Release
January CTE Student of the Month
The Career and Technical Student of the Month is John S., (pictured on the left) and the owner of Parker Tie, Rick Woodie (pictured on the right). As always, thanks to Civitas Media, Mountain Times, and WKSK for what you do for our students at Ashe County High School. Thanks to Parker Tie and Dewalt for sponsoring our CTE Student of the Month.
I have had the distinct pleasure of having John S. as a student in my Construction class and on my list of outstanding students at Ashe County High School. John has been more than the ideal student. In order to achieve the highest grades and my deepest respect, he has demonstrated outstanding leadership and maintained a clear sense of purpose.
Since his classmates, my fellow teachers, and I will always hold him in the highest esteem, I sincerely have recommended John S. for January Student of the Month.
Construction Teacher: ACHS
NC Guide to Strengthening Our Public Schools
ACS Employment Opportunities
Current Certified Positions - (updated January 22, 2015)
Attention Teachers: 2015 Endowment Grant Information
Updated information for the 2015 Endowment Grants:
2015 Application Form
Frequently Asked Questions About The Endowment Fund
2015 Evaluation Form
Other information can be found on the Endowment Board webpage.
Technology Grant Awarded to Ashe County Schools
WEST JEFFERSON, NC—Ashe County Schools is the recipient of a Technology Grant from SkyLine Membership Corporation to acquire wireless devices for the county’s three elementary schools. Pictured left to right are: SkyLine Chief Executive Officer Jimmy Blevins; Ashe County Schools’ Superintendent Dr. Todd Holden; Ashe County Schools’ Director of Technology Amy Walker; SkyLine Board member Jerry Roten and SkyLine Board Assistant Secretary/Treasurer Molly Gambill.
Click here to read the press release.
Regional Teacher of Year - Keana Triplett
Keana Triplett, English teacher at Ashe County High School was named as the North Carolina Northwest Region 7 2014-2015 Teacher of the Year. Click here to read Press Release.
The Ashe County Board of Education expresses their sincere appreciation to the employees of Ashe County Schools.
Attention Teachers - Spanish Translations
Spanish translations for forms, letters and other information can be found under Teacher/Info on the side menu bar. More translations will be added soon.
November Board Highlights
Recognition of the following bus drivers for perfect attendance in 2013/14
James Pennington—Ashe High
Eddie Taylor—Ashe Middle
Darlene Eller—Blue Ridge
Ashe County Ford Teacher Scholarship Foundation
Ashe High—Olivia Jenkins
Ashe Middle—Julie Taylor, Jodi Grubb
Blue Ridge—Tonya Blevins, Tonya Denny, Julie Little
Mountain View—Ronnie Pruitt, Misty Prichard, Robin Nethery, Kelly Mullis, Chelsea Clanton, Jessica Lyalls, Teresa Goodman, Ashley Fields, Connie Howell, Luci Jackson, Kristy Houck, Jana Baldwin, Jenny Johnson, Rhonda Donner, Leanne Miller
Westwood—Kevin Miller, Pam Hudler, Michelle Blevins, Mary Greene
State of Ashe County Schools
Four out of Five Schools Exceeded Growth!!
- ACS overall proficiency (student performance) ranks us 18th out of 115 school districts in the state of North Carolina.
- Our High School, according to US News and World Report ranks in the top 10% of high schools in the nation.
- Our district graduation rate improved from roughly 84% to 86%.
- Our CTE courses are expanding to meet the needs of our students and our community – new Agriculture program in the middle school 2014-15.
- Starting next school year ACS will begin implementation of a STEM Academy at our middle and high schools. We want our students to have the option of staying and working in Ashe County – GE Aviation, AEV, Skyline-Skybest and many more businesses – have job needs of electrical engineering, software development, welding, math rigor, and much more. One of the top industries in our county is construction, so we are bringing back masonry/HVAC for students that are interested in those areas.
- Governor’s Teacher’s Network – we have three Ashe County Teachers on his task force.
Read to Achieve results from the 2013-14 School Year
- 14 students of 239 were required to attend Summer Reading Camp due to non-proficiency (less than 5.8%).
- 39 students were able to prove proficiency through the alternative assessments that Ashe County submitted to the state. For the 2014-15 School Year we have 80 students of 237 that have already demonstrated proficiency through the Beginning of Grade 3 reading test - a 10% increase from last year.
- Our K-2 teachers realize this law is about reading proficiently in the early grades and are doing a great job getting them ready.
ACS has started a community partnership program – we currently are partnered with over 30 local businesses in our county. I want to thank all the Faith Based partners and Community Businesses that helped to bring Mark Mero to our county – anti-bullying program for our middle and high school.ACS has a plan if or when the Enteroviruses D68 hits here in Ashe County. We know there are 6 cases in the State.
Mrs. Callie Grubb named Ashe County Schools Principal of the Year 2014-2015
Click here to read press release.
ASHE COUNTY SCHOOLS PRINCIPALS
Jason Krider, Ashe County High; Earl Pennington, Ashe County Middle; Jennifer Robinson, Westwood Elementary; David Blackburn, Mountain View Elementary; Callie Grubb, Blue Ridge Elementary.
Breakfast is Important!
ACS - Expenditure Report for 2013-14
The 2013-14 State Expenditure Report for Ashe County Schools has been posted on the Finance Link's page under Budget and Financial Information.
Ashe County Driver Education 2014-2015 Schedule
NORTH CAROLINA DRIVING SCHOOL INC.
Click here for Driver Education information and schedule
Ashe County, North Carolina
Thanks to Germain Media for letting us share these beautiful scenes in Ashe County!